Weatherization day is October 30 – about three weeks away! As we enter the second week of a federal government shutdown, getting the word out about the Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) is more important than ever. While it is easy to brush off current events as not relevant and go about your business, the federal government shutdown has real, relevant effects – effects that most people do not see or recognize. This is your chance to show policymakers, stakeholders, partner groups, and, most importantly, the public the impact that stopping the flow of federal funds to the WAP has on jobs, low-income people, and communities.
The Weatherization Assistance Program Technical Assistance Center (WAPTAC) has a host of materials and resources to help you get the word out this October 30. Why not:
- Plan a site demonstration? These can be critical to building support from local policymakers and stakeholders, who then see the benefits of WAP up close and personal.
- Get a Governor’s Proclamation? State and local support has made a huge difference in funding levels in recent years – build long-term backing with a proclamation in your state, county, or city.
- Tell the story of WAP through print media? All it takes is one major newspaper picking up your story to really make an impact.
- Start a social media campaign? Engage your partners using #WxDay2013 and see how many posts you can get!
- And much, much more, available on WAPTAC.
All of these steps may seem small and to pale in comparison to the crises in Washington, DC these days, but small steps compounded across the country make a giant leap – a leap we need to keep WAP running nationwide.
As always, contact NASCSP with any questions or if we can be of any assistance in your Weatherization Day efforts.